Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Canadian Thanksgiving In Guatemala 2017

Amazing Iva organized a last-minute Thanksgiving dinner for us and it was wonderful. Dinner was enjoyed  by Bert & I and Iva and Australian Ian, hosted by the ever-gracious NJP. Three out of five guests were Canadian so it counts!! Besides, it's nice to piggyback on other countries' holidays and hence get more turkey. We'll be doing American Thanksgiving next month, and Ian has suggested we do Australia Day in January too. 😋

Iva discovered that turkeys aren't readily available at the grocery stores around here, so she and NJP went up to Sololá and got a fresh one. I mean really fresh, like ALIVE. Ha!
Isn't it cute? Yep, still ate it. 
NJP negotiated a great deal for the turkey -- butchering, defeathering, and gutting included. Good thing too, otherwise I think we may have had a vegetarian dinner and just watched our new pet turkey run around the garden!

Iva and NJP did all the prep and cooking, and I only contributed some gigantic carrots to the meal. (I was channeling my inner university student -- come home just for real food and to do laundry. Ha!) The conversation was lively, the food was delicious, and we were all thankful for finding awesome friends in new places.
Carving the bird.
T-giving is not complete without mashed potatoes and sweet carrots.
NJP made amazing cranberries and yummy gravy, and Iva whipped up a lovely salad with balsamic vinegrette.
We are so lucky!
My plate! DELICIOUS!
I hope all my wonderful Canadian readers had a great Thanksgiving and all my other readers had a great regular weekend. Don't forget to be grateful every day for all the opportunities and adventures life presents to you. 😊

No comments :

Post a Comment