Saturday, August 18, 2018

It's Tuc-Tuc Time!

I love tuc-tucs. 😍
What's a tuc-tuc, you ask?
Officially, they're called auto rickshaws, and the word is sometimes spelled tuk-tuk, from the original Thai word that was actually just an onomatopoeia for the sound their little engines make as they putter around.
How 'bout I just show you?
A typical tuc-tuc in Guatemala.
Tuc-tucs are the personal public transportation of small towns in Guatemala. Here in Panajachel, they cost Q5 per person within town. If you leave town, it's Q10 and up. If you get one really late at night, like after 10pm, they'll charge you Q10 per person as well. Other towns have different rates, so be sure to ask before you get in.

Oftentimes, there are so many available tuc-tucs that they'll pass by you and offer, "Taxi?", especially if you're a white woman standing on the side of the road with bags of groceries. 😀 If you need to hail one, you put your arm forward from your body, not above shoulder height, and flap your hand. It's weird. Watch the locals to see how they do it! You don't raise your hand over your head like hailing a cab in New York City. 

Most tuc-tucs in Pana are red, but occasionally you will see a yellow tuc-tuc.
The tuc-tucs of the traffic cops are lime green!
This tuc-tuc has a spoiler. HA HA!
Also, it has advertising for the grocery store. The tuc-tuc owner gets paid Q125 per month to have this put on his tuc-tuc.

A tuc-tuc with an ad for booze. Ha! 
This tuc-tuc has its rain flaps on. They don't really work so well. Ha! Water still splashes in when it's really pouring out but, hey, it's better than walking.
Some useful Spanish phrases you'll need to know when using tuc-tucs to get around:
A dondé vas? - Where are you going?
No estoy disponible. - I'm not available. (The driver is off the clock or waiting for another passenger.)
a la derecha - to the right
a la izquierda  - to the left
un poco mas lejos - a little further
allá, allí -- there (Spanish speakers have many words for "there". Watch this video from Butterfly Spanish)
aqui - here
cerca de - near to
hacia de - towards

Another really cool thing about the tuc-tucs in Panajachel is that many of them have been painted and customized. I've spent many, many months taking pictures of them to show you!
This one is good! Captain America
Dragon Ball Z
Superman and Batman
I'm not sure why it's #89 but also "The Number Three"
The back of the tuc-tuc above. I think it's a Transformer. And bullet holes too. 
I don't know what Parza is. 
Cool mods to the front of this tuc-tuc
Scary alien robots are cool.
An impressive Hulk tuc-tuc
The back of the Hulk tuc-tuc
Wolverine!
A rather sad looking Thor.
Suicide Squad!
The absolute BEST art on a tuc-tuc I've ever seen. Predator vs Alien
(Hey, who's that skinny white dude to the right?? 😄)
A tuc-tuc modified to look like a chicken bus! Adorable!
Another SUPER cool things in Pana that I absolutely LOVE is the tuc-tucs get all lit up at night. I think it's so adorable and fun, though some people find it tacky. There is even a tuc-tuc with a disco ball inside it! 🎇
I made a short video of tuc-tucs in action in Pana, including at 1:01 my favourite night-time tuc-tuc, the kitty-cat tuc-tuc! Take a look.


My favourite tuc-tuc...because of the driver! :D 

This is my good friend, Victor, tuc-tuc #88. He gave me the answers to all my tuc-tuc questions!
Gracias, Victor!
My friend, Victor, told me I could put his phone number here and anyone who visits Pana can call him for a ride. If he's not available. he can find you a driver who is.
VICTOR (502)5557-9701
If you have WhatsApp, it is a free call (I think. I don't use Whatsapp.) If you are calling from an American phone, you will need to use the 502 area code.
Victor speaks really good English and is super friendly and helpful. He can also arrange for tours in the area and take you to all the local sites, even out to Santa Catarina and San Antonio, which is a beautiful drive. Tell him Cristel sent you! 😊

2 comments :

  1. I love it! My favourite is the chicken-bus tuc-tuc, well, after #88 of course ;) I also highly recommend Victor too! I can't wait to see you all again, and Cris, thanks for all the great photos! I feel like a great game would be to play tuc-tuc bingo and see who can spot all the super-heros first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pleasure to serve everyone I like my work and I try to do everything in the best possible way and I appreciate all the friends I have made during the time I have been driving.

    ReplyDelete