Monday, June 11, 2018

Rainy Season Has Arrived

There are two seasons in Guatemala: rainy and dry. It's either raining every day and green as a grasshopper's butt, or it's sunny and dry as dust. And those two seasons last for months at a time. This last dry season, I don't think we saw a single drop of rain for five months straight.

I did a blog post about the weather here in Panajachel if you're looking for more details and numbers and fancy charts. 😎

I took a picture from approximately the same spot a few months apart to show you the difference. This is in Panajachel near the river, looking east, at 5pm.
Antes y después (Before and after)
Every time I walk out my gate, I am shocked at how green the hills are now! They were so brown and barren for so many months. I'm not used to seeing all the jungly-ness yet.

Back in January, I did a video of my garden, me just walking around chatting about the different plants and such. Well, this morning I decided to do a quick video update of what my garden looks like now. The transformation is amazing!


The flowers on the frangipani tree. They smell beautiful.
For a long time now, I've been hearing my neighbour's ducks quacking from their yard. The other morning I finally got to meet them! They were puttering about on the road, snacking on bugs and stuff.
Weird male duck. He could raise and lower the black crest on his head.
Momma duck and her half-grown babies!
They also have one beautiful chicken. I've only ever seen this one. Maybe there are more in the yard, but this one is the only one who ventures out.
Very pretty chicken.
Even though it is rainy season, it is usually sunny for a few hours in the morning. All the animals go outside and soak it up. Me, I go outside and try to get everything dried on the clothesline before the rains come again in the early afternoon. Then I run around like crazy taking everything back inside again so it doesn't get wet!
Noodles napping in the rain gutter.



I don't mind the rains much. Only if I forget to plan my day and end up huddled under the eaves at Despensa trying to find an available tuc-tuc. The roads get flooded and muddy and trucks splash you when you're walking. But it's just water. And it's actually kinda warm, so it's no big deal. Nothing like months of snow back in Canada! I think I can handle it here. 😊🌴☔

No comments :

Post a Comment