Sunday, December 10, 2017

It's C-C-C-Cold!!

Oh my! I thought when I moved from Canada to Guatemala that I would never say the word "cold" again unless it was in reference to my frozen margarita! But these past few days and nights it's been really chilly here in Panajachel. The winds are CRAZY. Doesn't help that our house is made of wood and the wind just whooshes right through the half-inch cracks around the windows. 💨😲

This weather station says it's going to go down to 5°C (41°F) tonight. Brrrr.

So what do we do to keep warm? Lots of hot chocolates and lots of blankets.

Our new doggie, Mia. Rob put a blankie on her cuz she was cold and she hasn't moved since. :)
When Calvin gets really cold, he puts his tail over his nose. Not quite there yet!
Queso and Noodles sharing a pillow and some warmth.
Every doggie gets a pillow to sleep on. Gus guards his quite zealously.
Rui loves to go out and run around in the wind, but comes in to eat, drink, and warm up his toes.
Wait? Where are his legs?? Ha ha! He's "meatloafing". 😆
Willow says, "Cold? BAH! I'm a Canadian kitty. I gots me the FUR." 💗
Bert all bundled up and doing mosaics at the kitchen table.
My solution to late-night work sessions -- a candle to warm up my fingers. 
What do Guatemalans do about the cold? Lots of families have wood stoves in the houses for cooking, and I imagine they use them to heat their homes on nights like these. Families share beds to keep warm. There are lots of wool blankets for sale everywhere. We see a lot of locals wearing wool toques and scarves and big winter jackets.
Here in the highlands and the higher elevations, there is actually a real danger of hypothermia for those who are unprepared. Many municipalities have "warming centers" where people can stay overnight. We've seen news stories of homeless or drunk people found frozen to death in the morning. :(

Here's to warmer temperatures in a few days! And my condolences to my family and friends back in Canada who have months and months and MONTHS more of this to look forward to. 😰

No comments :

Post a Comment