Monday, February 2, 2015

Rose-Coloured Glasses vs. Shades of Doom

I have learned that I'm a tad idealistic. (*snort* Understatement of the year!) My abundant optimism helps me to take risks, have adventures, and laugh when things don't turn out as expected.
However, I do need a more practical person in my life to point out that not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Bert is perfect for that!

Me: (*big goofy smile*) Guatemala is going to be so awesome! Look at these beautiful pictures online! Read this awesome blog post! There are Internet cafes everywhere! Wow, such a beautiful volcano! Ooh, look at the monkeys!

Bert: (*scowley face*) There is rampant crime in Guatemala. We're going to get kidnapped if we go there. That blogger sounds naive. It's going to cost too much. We're going to die when that volcano erupts. Monkeys bite.

When I was younger, I would get frustrated at people who were such downers. (To be honest, I sometimes still get frustrated! Occasionally, I'll ask Bert to "say one thing positive, please!")
But having become more wise in my "old" age, I can recognize when people bring up legitimate concerns that I shouldn't be ignoring. By paying attention to his pessimism/realism, I can see where I need to be a bit more cautious or perhaps plan a bit more, rather than jumping ahead with my big silly grin and ending up face-down in the mud.

It's all about balance, isn't it?

UPDATE: Bert just said to me: "I've always wanted to do something like this but I've never found anyone crazy enough to do it with."

No comments :

Post a Comment