Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I Went Outside Today

A few pics of daily life in Panajachel during the pandemic. Mostly normal, with the addition of masks and the subtraction of some needed items.
Guatemalan women wearing masks
Guatemalan women wearing traditional clothing (tipico) plus masks to ward against COVID-19. They are also selling masks that they sew themselves. (Not my photo.)

Masks are mandatory for everyone now. If you get caught without a mask, they take you to the health center and give you a COVID-19 test. If it's negative, you are fined Q7,000 ($1,300). If it's positive, you are fined Q150,000 ($27,500). 😲

 Lots of colourful flowers in bloom right now.
That's pink!
This plant is serious about social distancing.
There are signs around town about how to wash your hands and also the symptoms of coronavirus.
First stop, visiting my kitty friends that I'm taking care of while their mom is stuck in the U.S.
Walking up Santander street. It's so empty. :(
I went to the bank and had to stand in line outside the building with a bunch of other people. Then they let us in as a group. We had to be several feet apart at all times and the guards would come tell you if you got too close.

Kind people have been putting food out for the street dogs.
No flour at Despensa.
A tuc-tuc ride home! I've been taking them a lot more often to support the drivers.
Panajachel river haze bridge bruma rio puente
Crossing the yellow bridge. The river workers are still working (with masks on).
Lots of haze this time of year. You can't see the lake at all!
A quick video of the street corner near the grocery store. I would love to take more videos but I always feel embarrassed when I have my camera out.


Because I am petsitting, I have to go out every two days, but often I just go there and back home right away. I don't like going ot Despensa because it's crowded (and far) so I'm going to my local tiendas more often. I haven't been to the market in a long time. It's too crazy. But the local tiendas are now selling more fresh fruit and vegetables, so that's helpful.

I bought two more masks today just because. They only cost Q5 -- less than a dollar. There are lots of entrepreneurial people selling them on the street all over town. I still haven't found a purple one though!

Stay well, my friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment