Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Water, Water Everywhere, Nor Any Drop to Drink

Do you take drinking water for granted? Can you turn on your tap and get sparkling clean potable water on demand? You're lucky! It might seem far-fetched to think that there are still people in the world who don't have water in their homes, but it's true. Can you believe it? I mean, we've sent people to the moon, yet here in Guatemala I still see ladies walking down to the river with jugs on their heads.
At my house in Panajachel, I have city water that comes into my property thru a pipe in the wall. Then there are two cisterns to store the water. One is below ground in the shed; the other is on the roof near the kitchen. When I turn on my tap, most days clean water comes out. It's not drinkable, but it's clear. I use it to wash dishes and my hands, I give it to the cats and dogs to drink, and I cook with it if it involves boiling, like for pasta or soup. Drinking water comes in a garrafon, a 5-gallon jug of purified water. I buy the expensive brand, Salvavidas, for Q17 because it tastes better but I know you can get it cheaper.

This morning, however, there is what my tap water looks like. 😝

muddy tap water Guatemala
Water from my tap this morning, icky!
This is irritating but not uncommon. It's happened to me a few times here, especially during the rainy season when the heavy downpours kick up the mud. I went down to my pila (outdoor sink) to see if the water there was any better, but there actually wasn't any water at all coming thru the city pipes, so no luck there. It will come on again later, I'm sure.

By coincidence, a friend shared a post on Facebook this morning about poor Guatemalan families who only have access to rainwater for drinking, cooking, and bathing. I am happy to share the webpage of a small charity that is providing water filters, stoves, and other essential supplies to families in need here in Guatemala. They are The Ripple Effect. Their website says: "Unfortunately, 13% of all deaths are due to dysentery. Clean water, continued hygiene education and better nutrition would greatly improve quality of life." I applaud their work and hope you can take a moment to visit their website and read about them, and perhaps consider a donation. Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment