Monday, May 21, 2018

Tapachula Torture

As a guest in lovely Guatemala, I only get a 90-day pass to stay here. After that, I have to go on what's called a visa run. That entails leaving Guatemala for 72 hours and then re-entering and getting another 90-day tourist stamp in my passport.

If you've been reading my blog, you will know that have done this over and over and over again. I think I am one of the few expats who actually does visa runs, rather than sending their passport with a service. (Illegal but cheap and easy.)

I also think that 90 days is just enough time for me to forget how AWFUL visa runs can be. I was actually excited when I got on the chicken bus in Pana this past Friday morning. Eight hours later...not so freaking happy.

I do visa runs to Tapachula, Mexico. It is the closest border point. I am also poor, so I do the run by chicken buses, rather than a nice comfy shuttle with a gaggle of other white people.

Let me tell ya, chicken buses can be hellish.
The devil on four wheels.
After a day of riding chicken buses, I am physically sore. There are bruises on my knees from banging against the seat in front of me. My stomach muscles ache from holding myself upright. My arms and hands are stiff from gripping the chrome railing to try to keep from sliding. My head pounds from the diesel fumes and blaring music.

Why do I do it? Price, really. To go from Panajachel to Tapachula by chicken buses and colectivos costs only Q55 plus 20 pesos. A shuttle, if I could find one, costs Q300. (These are one-way prices.) The other option is to go to San Cris, which is even further and costs even more. So I suffer for a day to Mexico and a day back to get 90 days of freedom in Guatemala.

The other reason I do visa runs is because of the cheap medications in Mexico. I've mentioned this before but I must stress that buying prescription meds in Mexico is up to 10 times cheaper than in Guatemala, depending on the drug. I buy generic meds from Farmacias Similares, and I get a 3-month supply to last me until my next visa run.
I know where all the Simi's are near the central park in Tapachula. There are five of them within walking distance.
Another reason to go to Mexico... even with the pain and anguish of the chicken buses, it's actually kinda fun to get away. I eat a lot of junk food, do a lot of shopping, sleep in a quiet hotel room, and enjoy just walking around seeing the sights.

Of course, you've got to plan your day. It's as hot at 9am in Tapachula as it is at high noon in Pana. So you've got get out and do your walking before the sun gets too high. Plus, there are usually rain showers mid-afternoon, so get back to the hotel room before then for a little rest, and then out again at sunset when the rains clears to find a nice place for dinner.
The fountains in the main square were turned on in the morning. So pretty.
I'm not a big fan of shoes but I am a big fan of air-conditioned stores. 😁
There is a huge market up at the north part of Tapachula, near the Chedraui. I got lost and wandered in circles quite happily there for some time.
Amazing!
Tiny super-hot peppers.
When it gets too hot, I head for the huge Chedraui store for some cool shopping.
Chedraui has a huge liquor section. A lot of the bottles had these weird security things on top of them. I was wondering if they would spit ink on you if you tried to take them off. I didn't test my theory. :) 


After almost getting arrested for shoplifting at Chedraui thanks to a tiny metal tab in a package of SuperGlue, I headed back out into the hot sun to stroll back to my hotel. I got a bit lost but asked directions from an old lady, and then confirmed those directions at the next block with a cop, and made it home just before the rains started.

There are sooooo many taxis in Tapachula. 
One of my favourite things about going to Mexico is to eat yummy foods. I didn't have a lot of money to spend this time, so I focused on the most bang for my buck, which included weird snacks, special coffees, Chinese food, and sweets!

Reese's peanut butter coffee? Yes, please! Unfortunately, they were out! Awwww. Next time, I guess.
There are a bunch of Chinese food places scattered around the central square. They all sell 1 item plus rice for Q45 or 2 items for Q55. A very large helping and nice to have some veggies.
One of my snacks while walking. I think it cost 5 pesos. It's corn nibs, not really sweet, but juicy and crunchy. There was hot water in the bottom of the bag that kept it warm. The lady offered me lime and chili for it but I declined. What it really needed was butter and salt!
A Mexican party in a bag! Spicy nuts and beans. 
I nearly squealed out loud when I found these! I ate them all while relaxing in my hotel room as it poured rain outside. Such a flashback to childhood!
My return trip from Tapachula to Panajachel was slightly less irritating and painful than the way there. It is such a wonderful feeling coming down the big hill from Solola to Pana and seeing Lake Atitlan and the volcanoes below! I smile every time and think, "I'm home." 😊

4 comments :

  1. I love this! How long did it take for Pana to "feel" like home? Just curios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Beverly. I don't know when it started to feel like home. I just really loved it here from the start. I think it helps to have good friends and a nice home to enjoy. Home is where the heart is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that I have given you a shout out a few times on my own blog. Now that I'm heading to Guate next week, I have featured your posts again. BTW, love the latest one directing me to Amazing Iva. If you want to check out the blog, it's http:/leanfireATL.com Every time I speak of Guate, I mention your posts because you do a darn good job of keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow i haven't seen Bottle caps for years, was my fave when i was a kid. Than and fun dip.

    ReplyDelete