Friday, November 11, 2016

The Beautiful Women of Lake Atitlan

I love walking around Jucanya and Panajachel and seeing all the beautiful women in their gorgeous colourful clothes. I feel so worn down and normal walking next to them!
I love the intricacy of the patterns, the brightness of the colours, the variety in the designs. I love how they wear fancy things in their hair, including glittery ribbons! The indigenous women seem regal to me. Even the youngest girls often wear traditional clothing, which is so freaking adorable!!
It is rarer to see a man wearing traje, and I always have a big smile on my face when I see the older gentlemen in their cropped pants, embroidered shirts, and waist sash. I have seen several of the really old men wearing handmade leather shoes with open toes. Darned if I can find a picture of them though.

Mayan Families is an awesome charity here in Panajachel, Guatemala. They made this lovely video talking to a local Mayan woman about why she wears traditional dress. I smiled the whole way through! Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment