Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Eternal Spring is Right!

They're not kidding about Guatemala being the Land of Eternal Spring. It's hard to believe it's October. My internal seasonal clock is going haywire. I keep waiting to feel the frost in the air. A slightly chilly wind will pass through and I get all excited for the leaves to change colour! It's very strange.

The other thing that messes up my internal clock is how early it gets dark here: 6:30pm every day. I was pondering why it feels so weird and I think I figured it out. It's because of the combination of warmth and nighttime. Back home in Canada, if it's warm enough to wear shorts and it's dark outside, that means it's 10 pm! (In case I'm confusing those of you who have never lived away from the equator, the sun sets very, very late in summer time in Canada.)

Gorgeous pink rose in full loom with some happy buggies.

More rose buds ready to blossom.
Anyhoo, I'm supposed to be working but instead I was enticed outside by the smell of blooming roses. My landlord has several lovely rose bushes in the tiered garden outside my casita. So gorgeous! I love the older style roses that have smell as well as beauty. The newer roses have all been bred for looks and not scent. It's disappointing. Give me an old English rose any day!

No comments :

Post a Comment