Thursday, August 15, 2019

Paragliding at Lake Atitlan and Spanish Listening Practice

I came across this neat video on YouTube of a Guatemalan traveler who went paragliding at Lake Atitlan recently. This is an activity that I would never do. Never ever ever. Sorry! You're never gonna see a video of me jumping off a cliff! So I'm sharing this video so you can see what it's like and see some amazing vistas of Lake Atitlan, the volcanoes, and the scenery.

But there is another reason for this post -- I'd like you to try to understand his Spanish! And then maybe sympathize with poor me who is trying to learn this language in my 40s! I think he is a ciudadano, a person from the city, and they speak faster than the local people here in Panajachel. That is because Spanish is most likely his first language, whereas many of the locals here are indigenous and they learn their Mayan language first, then Spanish, and then sometimes English. So that makes it actually easier to communicate with indigenous people because they are learning Spanish too and so they speak slowly and simply.

If you're not interested in the real-life Spanish lesson, then just watch this video for the awesome visuals. He actually doesn't even fly until the last 3 minutes of the video. Before that, he visits the nature reserve, talks about the history of paragliding, and chats with the instructor. Skip ahead to 14:00 if you just wanna see him fly!


The funniest part is that I didn't know what his channel name was and had to translate it. He is Traveling Walrus! And near the end of the video, he says, "A walrus is not made to fly but without a doubt, he loves it." So cute!

No comments :

Post a Comment