Friday, February 16, 2018

Just Another Friday Night

I was walking home from a friend's at 9pm and came upon a procession. No idea why. It's mid-February. I think Ash Wednesday just passed but I don't know what would follow that.
I managed to take a few photos and a short video before my camera battery died. It's dark but I hope you can see the odd mishmash of old and new: people carrying candles and swinging censers next to two guys hauling a giant speaker blaring orchestral music; Mayans in traditional clothing next to young girls in tight blue jeans; a giant carved Jesus passing under a traffic light. I find the juxtaposition fascinating.
When I came upon the procession, they were just stopping for a bit of a prayer.
The smell of incense will forever remind me of Guatemala.
Lots of people are needed to carry these things. It goes REALLY slow too, swaying back and forth.
There were traffic cops at the front and back making sure impatient tuc-tucs and motorcycles waited their turn.


We're gearing up towards Semana Santa now! There will be more and more parades and religious stuff as the weeks go by. 

No comments :

Post a Comment