Monday, October 12, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you haven't heard yet, I'm Canadian, and we celebrate Thanksgiving in October, not November like our American neighbours. (Another sign of my Canadianness -- a "u" in neighbours!)

So today (and every day) I am immensely thankful for many things.

First and foremost, I'm thankful for my amazing family -- my two awesome parents and my two wonderful sisters, plus my four incredible nieces and one amazing nephew! I miss you guys!

I'm thankful for my great guy, Bert, who makes me laugh almost every day and surprises me to no end. He followed me without too much hesitation on this mad adventure, having never even been out of Canada before, let alone on a plane to a third-world country!
Willow, who has the unique ability to look irritated and adorable at the same time.
 I'm thankful for my kitty, Willow, who only wants to be with me no matter where I go.

Pachi says, "Hi, I love you!!!"
I'm thankful for Pachi, who is perfect. :)

I'm thankful for hot coffee, clean drinking water, and a roof that doesn't leak. Not everyone here has that.

I'm super-duper thankful for being able to come to the land of eternal spring, Guatemala, where the people are so welcoming and inspiring, where I have found many new friends, and where my eyes have been opened to many new perspectives. Guatemala is certainly a country that finds a way to be grateful for both life's joys and challenges. Guatemaltecos are wonderful people who know the real richness in life comes from family and friends.
Landslide at El Cambray II, Guatemala
On October 1, 2015, Guatemala suffered an enormous tragedy when a landslide buried most of the town of El Cambray II, near Guatemala City. Throughout this horrible event, the country has come together to assist in rescue operations, medical care, and support for survivors who are now homeless. The spirit of Guatemala shines through in their amazing people and I am humbled by their courage, resilience, and generosity.

To donate to the Red Cross' relief efforts for El Cambray II landslide please visit the website of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Or if you speak Spanish, you can go directly to the Red Cross of Guatemala's website, Cruz Roja of Guatemala.

I hope you all can take a moment to be extra thankful today. Hugs!

No comments :

Post a Comment