Sunday, March 29, 2020

Fresh Cheese in Guatemala

A long time ago, I tried the local Guatemalan queso fresco (fresh cheese) and I decided I wasn't a fan. But I thought I might give it a second chance seeing as how we're trying to save money and buy more things from our local tiendas rather than the big chain grocery stores. I think I paid Q15 for this block of cheese, which is about $2.75 Canadian or $1.95 U.S.

Fresh cheese is sold wrapped in a banana leaf. It is very soft. It barely holds its brick shape and when you cut it, it is almost like cottage cheese that has been pressed together, or maybe ricotta. It is very wet! The flavour is mild, tangy, but with a bit of pungency at the end. It's not bad really but to me, it almost tastes like cottage cheese that has gone a bit off. Not moldy but maybe vinegary? You will have to try it for yourself to know for sure!

Queso fresco de Guatemala

Sliced fresh cheese of Guatemala
Cheese is also sold as seco (dry) where it is pressed into a circle shape, is very hard, and you shave it off like Parmesan. I've sometimes seen the fresh cheese with loroco in it, which is a flower bud (I think) that tastes a bit like asparagus. I've never seen anything but pure white cheese. No orange cheese here!

I found this interesting video about making fresh cheese in Guatemala. It's quite long -- 16 minutes -- and rambles quite a bit. They seem to be having fun! I don't understand most of what they're saying cuz their Spanish is so fast! But it is worth watching, especially for any readers who don't know much about Guatemala.
The part that will interest you is not making the cheese, but the environment. They are working in their kitchen, which is just a dirt floor with tin walls. Their stove is propped on cinder blocks. They wash dishes in their pila (stone sink) and spill the water on the floor. When they need a banana leaf for the cheese, they walk down their dirt road to their neighbour's house and just cut one from a tree. (And their neighbour has a squirrel in a cage???) It is a fascinating look into the life of a family in rural Guatemala.


It appears that they do use rennet to make their cheese but I have also seen people do it just with lemon juice or vinegar. 

If you would like to try making fresh cheese at home, it is very easy! Here is a recipe I found:

Bye for now! I'm going to go cook beans & rice and top it with my queso fresco, tomatoes, and fresh jalapeños. Yum!

No comments :

Post a Comment