Sunday, September 17, 2017

5 Slightly Shocking Things for New Expats in Guatemala

I struggled with a proper title for this blog.
"5 Things You'll Need to Adjust To As An Expat in Guatemala"
"5 Things You May Never Get Used To Living in Pana"
"5 Things That Shock Expats About Panajachel"

The point is I've made a list of five things that stuck out to me when I first arrived in Panajachel, Guatemala, and that many expats and tourists I've talked to have found to be a bit shocking or unusual as well. Do you agree?

1. Dogs
Dogs, dogs, dogs everywhere! If you've arrived here in Panajachel from a first world country where an off-leash dog means a call to the Humane Society, then you're in for a surprise. But don't fret! The street dogs are mostly doing just fine. A lot of them have owners who let them roam to look for food during the day. You may see an occasional collar or piece of rope tied around their necks. The rest of the "strays" are dogs that have grown up on the streets and are used to it. They go about their business with no concern for you. It's quite interesting to see them trotting down the street with places to go and things to do! They won't bother you ... unless, of course, you have a tasty treat to share. Then you may get a pair of sad eyes watching your every move. ๐Ÿ˜‹
street dogs strays Panajachel
Street dogs relaxing outside the library in Panajachel.
What do you do if you see a dog that needs help? A sick, mangy, starving, or injured dog?
You call AYUDA Para la Salud de Perros y Gatos.
For those who have been following my blog, you know I am a dedicated supporter of Selaine and her charity. The work they do for the dogs in Panajachel and the other towns around Lake Atitlan is just amazing. AYUDA monitors and cares for the street dogs in Pana, with permission from the municipal office. There are limits to what they can do, but if a dog needs help, that's who you contact.
AYUDA's webpage here.
AYUDA's Facebook here.
If you're planning on moving to Guatemala forever, you can also adopt a street dog. There are loads that need homes and would love to be spoiled by you. ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Drunks
The climate is so lovely in Panajachel that if you're feeling a bit intoxicated and just don't wanna walk anymore, you can simply lie down on the sidewalk and have a little nap! If you're in front of a business, the owner may come out and shoo you away, but most drunks are just left to lie where they fall.
One of these things is not like the other!
When I first arrived here, I was worried these people were dead! But I watched all the locals just stepping around the prone bodies without a second glance and figured it must be all right. Besides, with my limited Spanish, I could wake them up and ask if they're okay, (¿Estรกs bien?) but then what?
My lovely friend, H., told me a story where she saw a drunk man passed out on the river road in the hot sun. She was concerned for his health, so she woke him up and asked if he was all right. The guy peered blearily up at her and then winked! My friend laughed and went on her way. ๐Ÿ˜„

3. Trash
Oh my, there is a lot of trash here in Guatemala. It's sad to see people with so little respect for their environment, especially when the environment here is so beautiful! Yes, you will see signs saying, "No tire basura," (don't throw trash) but a lot of folks just don't seem to care. There are street sweepers and municipal workers who clean up on a daily basis, but you'll still see piles of garbage on the side of the road and in empty lots. Do your part! Don't litter!

4. Noise
Those super loud BANGS you hear at all hours, even at 5 am? Those aren't gunfire. Okay, maybe they are, but more than likely it's just bombas, which are huge gunpowder "bombs" that are set off using a mortar. You'll also here snapping firecrackers at all times of the day and night. Guatemalans love to celebrate everything with explosions!
Check out this video I took last year. It shows an awesome traditional parade, plus in the end I found myself way too close to some firecrackers and bombas! Ouch, my ears! ๐Ÿ˜†


Guatemalans themselves are rather quiet people, in my opinion, but they do love a good parade. And they have an obsession with marching bands. That's all well and good, but you soon realize that marching bands have to practice...and practice and practice and practice. *sigh* My advice: don't live too close to a school. 
And those dogs I told you about? Yeah, they bark. A lot. Plus there are roosters crowing (yes, even in town) and church bells ringing very early in the morning. Panajachel certainly is a lively place. You get used to it, but I do recommend a good pair of earplugs for those nights you just need some sleep. 

5. Unsafety
Ha! I wanted to have a single word for this heading but there is no one word to fully describe the blatant disregard for human life that happens in Guatemala! I'm not talking about gang violence, forced marriages, and lynchings. (All of which occur here, sadly.) I'm talking about bicycles weaving in and out of oncoming traffic, four people on one motorcycle, no guard rails on curvy steep mountain roads, 40 people riding in the back of a pickup truck, electricians working while the power is on, and chicken buses going twice the speed limit downhill passing another bus in the fog while the driver talks on his cell phone. Yikes!
Most of these things are a "live and let live" sort of situation. You wanna ride your motorcycle without a helmet? Not my problem. But if you're driving my bus, please remember that you hold all your passengers' lives in your hands!
In spite of all this, I have very rarely felt unsafe in Panajachel. There isn't a lot of violent crime here, thankfully. Keep your wits about you and use common sense, just as you would in any city, and you'll be fine.

I hope you've enjoyed my post. I'm not trying to insult my adopted country or scare anybody off from coming to visit Panajachel and Guatemala. I've just seen so many posts on Facebook and other websites inquiring about these same five things. So now you know. Life in Guatemala is different, as it should be, and every day is a new adventure. I love it here! I hope you see you soon! ๐Ÿ˜Š

No comments :

Post a Comment